[ale] stupid pricing games

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Fri Jun 26 17:45:41 EDT 2009

Jeremy T. Bouse wrote:

> Sounds as if your m-i-l got one of their XPS series systems... They are
> big and ugly but supposedly the best Dell as as they're made for gamers
> and such. Inspiron series are meant more for a business laptop and a
> step up from the Latitude series. Granted mine isn't as light as my old
> Sony Vaio PictureBook but it's not as heavy as my old Toshiba
> SatellitePro either... I carried it back and forth every day to work
> until boss offered me a dual-head display workstation if I left it at
> home :)

I thought the Latitude were the "business" grade and Inspiron were the
"home" grade laptops?  Latitude definitely seems to be a step up in
price, anyway.

I've got a Latitude D610, supplied by my employer, that I've been using
happily for SW development for almost four years now.  Anything that
runs acceptably on this machine is gonna fly on real production hardware.

I liked it enough that I got a second one off eBay for personal use.
Both are still going strong, although I had to get the motherboard
replaced on the work machine due to a failed RAM socket -- but Dell
paid for that under the extended warranty.

-- JK