[ale] stupid pricing games

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Fri Jun 26 13:55:12 EDT 2009

Geoffrey wrote:
> I've seen a couple of these Dell 'glossy' screens.  All I can say is,
> what the hell were they thinking?  They show any small smudge and
> reflect any and every light from behind.  They are only useful in a dark
> room.

They're actually only usable in either a dark or a PROPERLY lit room :).

Dell isn't the only manufacturer using the shiny displays, everyone is.

I am always careful with my lighting.  I try to never position a desk so
that a window is behind it.  Any sort of glare is just as annoying to me
whether it is on my glossy display or any of my old matte panels.  I'm
also a fan of indirect lighting :).

I got my first glossy display over 3 years ago.  At the time it had
brighter and better looking color reproduction than any LCD panel I'd
used previously.  They have two potential downsides.  The glare, and
they seem to be pretty soft and easily scratched.

I got two little squiggly scratches on one that I can only assume was
made by something stuck between the display and keyboard.  Both happened
at different times.  I can't imagine anything more solid than a crumb of
some sort ending up on between my keyboard and display.

Since glare upsets me no matter what sort of display I have it isn't a
reason for me to choose a matte display.  The apparent softness worries
me a bit, I've never scratched a laptop display in the last 12+ years
that I've carried one.  I don't smudge my screen much because I'm one of
those people who will contemplate breaking anyone's finger that touches
my screen.  You don't have to touch to point! :)

For me the pro of a nicer display to look at outweighs the cons.  Your
mileage will vary, I just felt someone should stick up for these glossy
displays that I prefer looking at :).

Pat