[ale] running OPA (other people's apps) on my network

Jeff Hubbs jeffrey.hubbs at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 14:38:45 EDT 2009

Chris Kleeschulte wrote:
> I have told my company not to comply with their data plan, my company
> refuses.

Over and done.  Document your objection and that your management
received it; keep documentation at home.  You could be a hardliner and
insist that your employer direct you to comply in writing so you have an
even stronger case should everything go flooey.
> Custom Data Solution says that they have many customers who run their
> app on the customer's machines/network, nary a complaint.

Irrelevant if not outright insulting.
> I have quarantined this app as much as possible,
Good.
> but this is extremely
> bad business for CDS to ask me to run their app on my network without
> providing me the source code.
It's only bad business for you. :)
> I try to run only apps that I compile
> myself or from trusted sources.

Good.
> What would you all do in this situation?
Either of A) Document and comply B) quit C) refuse and risk dismissal.
> I guess I am just wondering
> if you think that it is absurd for a client to ask a supplier to run
> their software?
It's not absurd to ask; it's absurd to ask and not expect to be called
out on it.
> The unmitigated gall.

Welcome to IT. :)