[ale] stupid pricing games

Jeremy T. Bouse jeremy.bouse at undergrid.net
Thu Jun 25 19:35:14 EDT 2009

Brian Pitts wrote:
> On 06/25/2009 04:45 PM, Ned Williams wrote:
>> Ever since Dell started offering MS alternatives they have always been
>> higher priced for some mysterious reason.
>>
> FWIW, the Inspiron 15 starts at $299 with Ubuntu and $349 with Windows.
>
> Upgrade the processor to the T4200 and the battery to a 6-cell and
> you've got a decent laptop for the average home user for $364.

I've got an older Dell Inspiron 640m that I've only upgraded the RAM,
added a bluetooth adapter and swapped the Broadcom WiFi card for an
Intel one that I have used daily for a couple years now without any
problems.

That Inspiron 15n wouldn't be bad for me, but I'd have to go with the
T6400, throw in the bright, glossy WLED screen, max out the RAM, give it
at least a 250GB drive, add in the bluetooth adapter and webcam to be
something I'd take home... Still that's under $600...

Actually that's less than the Inspiron 1525 I got for my wife with a
T5800 and Vista that we paid over $800 for last October when her HP
DV6000 died. The two systems are otherwise fairly even spec'd including
RAM & HDD... Her's just didn't get the bluetooth adapter...