[ale] stupid pricing games

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Thu Jun 25 18:13:03 EDT 2009

Jim Kinney wrote:
> Looking for a new laptop for my wife. Dell has FreeDos option on
> Latitude systems. Inspiron is home user and the all come with some
> perversion of vista.
>
> The pricing is just stupid. 3 machines, 2 with FreeDos that differ by
> the screen size. Third is Inspiron system with different screen AND
> vista blah blah blah. Guess which one costs less...

You'll also get different prices on the same machine depending on
whether you are shopping through the "home" link or the "small business"
link.  Small business is almost always cheaper.

Dell will sometimes also offer you 3 preconfigured machines of the same
model to start from.  You'll most likely get a different price on all
three once you configure them the same way.

Pat