[ale] stupid pricing games

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 17:11:43 EDT 2009

I'm looking at that option. There are some slight hardware differences
in that the Inspiron (vista) has a smaller, lower res screen. The
smaller same res screen is $20 less between the Latitudes. It just
galls me forking over a single cent to microsoft.

The same Latitude E5400 with vista home is $699 - so $40 for vista?!?!?
There is a model number difference E5400N vs. E5400 . Does the "N"
means "No Windows"?

They _do_ have an Inspiron 15n (no windows?) with Ubuntu. But the cpu
choices are more limited - $489 vs. $529 with the same cpu on the
vista version.

So why can't I get the same _HARDWARE_?!?!?

Oh. Because then I could run PERFORMANCE TESTS and publish them.

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 4:45 PM, Ned Williams<nedj10 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ever since Dell started offering MS alternatives they have always been
> higher priced for some mysterious reason.
>

> Without sounding like a smart alec? Doesn't it save you money to buy the
> vista machine, install what you want and then try for the windows refund?
> worst case is you don't get the refund? But you still get the cheapest
> machine?

James P. Kinney III