[ale] important config. files

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 13:39:08 EDT 2009

I did an f10->f11 with no problems. It even had rpmfusion multimedia
code. I did not have the f11 rpmfusion repo on _during_ the upgrade so
the multimedia was replaced/removed.

I have not done the f10->f11 yum upgrade. I did the boot cd upgrade.
It was very smooth.

When ever possible, a new install is best for clearing out the cruft.
My big system, however, has been updated since FC2 (or 3?) up through
F9. It is seriously showing some problems (evolution randomly locks
up, etc) and it will get pushed to F11 soon by a wipe and reinstall.

Since hard drives are really cheap now, I'm leaning more to new drive
with new code and old drive for backup/source/archive. Park old drive
on a shelf in a labeled, anti-static bag for a year or so.

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 1:08 PM, Pete Hardie<pete.hardie at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 12:40, Jim Kinney<jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
>> and if you had selinux running (I don't recall if fc7 was ground-zero
>> for that or not) you MUST use star and not tar to capture the selinux
>> acl metadata. otherwise on the new build a copy will fail.
>>
>> Best scenario: use a new drive and do a new install. After install,
>> mount old drive and pull data over.
>
> speaking of Fedora 11 - my update notifier recently told me I was able to start
> upgrading my F10 system(s) to F11.
>
> I've heard that upgrading is fraught with peril, and that a straight
> install is better.
> Is this still the case?  Or can I safely start upgrading to F11?
>

> --
> Pete Hardie
> --------
> Better Living Through Bitmaps