[ale] Xen

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Tue Jun 23 11:28:23 EDT 2009

On 06/23/2009 07:49 AM, Jeff Lightner wrote:

> Right but it goes on to say they're folding it into their own Oracle
> VM and that both were based on Xen.
>

> Since I never heard of Virtual Iron before I can't say much about it.
> If it was Open Source then they can only quit supporting it themselves
> without killing it.   However, I wonder if the reason it is being
> killed isn't because no one ever heard of it and it had an uphill
> battle against VMWare, Xen and other options.

This thread was started by Jim posting old news about Oracle buying
Virtual Iron. It turned out that within a month of buying them, Oracle
fired almost everyone and discontinued the project. It seems like a
rather expensive way to get more customers for your own product.

I am pretty curious to see what happens in the Sun xVM v Oracle VM fight.

All the best,
Brian Pitts