[ale] OT: Cell phone signal blocker

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Mon Jun 22 16:55:22 EDT 2009

That reminds of my past life working in a 5 diamond hotel in the early
80s.  Back then only such places had computerized front office systems
and they were very expensive.  (We had the IBM System 34 and upgraded to
System 36.)  The terminals for this system were huge and expensive.

The security guards used walkie-talkies with the big black antennas on
them.  One night the security guard came up and as a joke pointed his
antenna at the terminal next to me and said "Die!" then pressed the
transmit button.

The look on his face when the screen went blank was priceless.

Luckily for him the terminal had an internal circuit breaker he'd
tripped and I was able to open the cover and reset it.