[ale] OT: Cell phone signal blocker

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Mon Jun 22 16:17:19 EDT 2009

> I have heard that there are such devices available
> (Europe?), although not legal in the US (FCC regs). There
> are also plans on the web (I think you can check through

they technically aren't legal.

And while ya'll are playing high-tech, it's amazing what a tesla coil and
a spark gap do to ANY radio usage. ;)

Way back in my caveman medical equipment days they called them "diathermy"
units when hooked to a large coil of wire. The RF would warm the patients
deep muscle tissue for "physical therapy" and "bloodflow stimulation".

They also shut off or fried anything not tube powered in the area,
and made radio communications nearby impossible. Broad spectrum white
random RF noise. :)