[ale] OT: Cell phone signal blocker

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 13:05:40 EDT 2009

Hmm. Better idea:

Make it known that some people are using technology to the detriment
of others. Award bonus/penalty points for telling on/getting caught.

Also, maybe adjust the rules a bit so "freestyle" allows outside help
but higher levels are strictly supervised.

WAR-dial all the participants phones non-stop....

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 12:55 PM, Jim Kinney<jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
> You'll need a white noise generator that broadcasts at the multiple
> cell phone frequencies. Anything that puts out more that about 50W
> should totally blanket the room(s).
>
> Low tech is an easier solution: All participants must keep both hand
> on/above the table at all times or they are disqualified. I have had
> this issue with college exams...
>
> On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Vernard Martin<vernard at venger.net> wrote:
>> ok, this is going to sound like I've been watching too many sci-fi
>> movies but I want to obtain a device that can block cell phone reception
>> in about a 10 to 20 yard radius. This is not for myself but for a friend
>> of mine. He is one of those people that runs the Team Trivia events at a
>> local sports bar. He is having a hard time with folks cheating by
>> looking up the answers to trivia questions on their blackberries and
>> such. He is hoping that he can block the signal they are using.
>>
>> I personally don't think its possible without introducing a helluva lot
>> of signal noise in the area that will screw up other stuff (possible
>> including human life) but I thought it was best to pose the question to
>> the best set of techno-geeks that I know.
>>
>> Any ideas? And yes, this does not address the issue of legality at the
>> moment, :)

> James P. Kinney III
> Actively in pursuit of Life, Liberty and Happiness

James P. Kinney III