[ale] Xen

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Mon Jun 22 09:05:13 EDT 2009

Since Fedora/Redhat are providing Xen standard with their distributions
I doubt Oracle will kill this any time soon.

Also Oracle has itself contributed to Open Source growth and products.
They created Oracle Cluster Filesystem (OCFS) and later enhanced it to
OCFS2.  It is available even if you're not using Oracle software.

They also do make their software run on Linux (though they didn't open
source it).   We are running many Oracle apps on Linux.  We even run a
couple of 300-600 GB Oracle DBs in RAC environments on Linux.  We
haven't taken the plunge with our 4+ TB Production DB but I suspect that
will be coming in the not too distant future.

My only real qualm about Oracle buying Sun is the possibility they'll
use it to try and kill MySQL which competes with their bread and butter
DBMS.   However as others have already noted there were already split
off source trees before the Oracle/Sun announcement.