[ale] Copy time for USB ext HDD

Scott skotchman at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 18:40:05 EDT 2009

David A. Merritt wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Jun 2009, Scott wrote:
>

>> Trying out an external USB HDD enclosure to copy files from my system
>> and it seems to be a lot slower than I had thought. I have a new Seagate
>> 500GB SATA in the enclosure and I started to do a copy of my music
>> library consisting of about 76GB flac files. I started at 16:24
>> yesterday and it is now at 60GB at 12:44. Is that right? Math was never
>> a strong point for me.
>>

> How is the disk you are copying *to* formatted?  If it is an NTFS-formatted
> drive, this is typical.  The write-capable file system for NTFS is a
> FUSE layer and is very slow.
>
> Just a thought.
> -dam

I don't touch that stuff, ext3 or die. Gives me the willies just
thinking of ntfs. Maybe I should have gone with ext2? Could the journal
feature of ext3 be slowing it down? I wouldn't think it would at least
not that long. By the way the full 76GB just finished a little while
ago, right about 24 hours.