[ale] Copy time for USB ext HDD

Sat Jun 20 15:55:40 EDT 2009

Many of the USB2 hubs will function at the "lowest common
denominator". Meaning, if you have any USB1 device plugged in
(keyboard, mouse, joystick, USB humping dog, etc.), you get USB1
performance out of everything. That may not be the situation with
every hub, but the 2 I've owned were that way.

On 6/20/09, Scott <skotchman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Brian Pitts wrote:
>> On 06/20/2009 12:44 PM, Scott wrote:
>>
>>> Trying out an external USB HDD enclosure to copy files from my system
>>> and it seems to be a lot slower than I had thought. I have a new Seagate
>>> 500GB SATA in the enclosure and I started to do a copy of my music
>>> library consisting of about 76GB flac files. I started at 16:24
>>> yesterday and it is now at 60GB at 12:44. Is that right? Math was never
>>> a strong point for me.
>>>

>> That's much too slow. Is the hard drive plugged directly in to a USB2
>> port? I copied 60GB from a 160GB PATA drive in a USB enclosure
>> yesterday. It took around an hour, which suggests I was transferring
>> around 20 megabytes per second.
>>
>> All the best,
>> Brian Pitts
>>

> It's plugged into a USB2 HUB which is on a USB2 port. Would that slow it
> down?

Sent from my mobile device

.!# RichardBronosky #!.