[ale] OT: DSLR recommendations

Ken Cochran kwc at theworld.com
Sat Jun 20 14:40:59 EDT 2009

See interspersed...

> Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 12:21:22 -0400
> From: Scott <skotchman at gmail.com>
> To: "Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts - Yes! We run Linux!" <ale at ale.org>
> Subject: Re: [ale] OT: DSLR recommendations
>
> Ken Cochran wrote:
> > I was a photographer before computers discovered me long ago...
> > I *highly* recommend the Nikon D40; anything any "better" is
> > at least twice the price.  Actually the 1/500s flash sync isn't
> > for freezing action (flash'll do that) - it's for balancing the
> > light between ambient & flash.  As far as I know there is no
> > other DSLR that syncs flash at 1/500 and the D40 is likely to
> > be replaced by Nikon before much longer.
>
> Is there any great loss of light balancing effect at 1/200. With the
> newer cameras having higher pixel counts the sync speed goes down. Would
> I be loosing a lot by going for the higher pixel or newer cameras?

1-1/3 stops; 1/500 means you can do nice flash fill in
bright light (e.g. outdoors) and/or at a wider lens aperture
(e.g. depth of field control).  The D40 is the only camera
I know of, other than leaf-shutter cameras, that can x-sync
that fast.  Even expensive "pro"-type cameras go to 1/250 max.

More pixels = more money, same as the cpu frequency race
in computers.  Anything "better" than the D40 costs at least
twice as much.  Those would start with the D90 & D5000.

> >   Another plus for Nikon
> > is their dead-on flash/light exposure/balance; they're the best
> > I know of.  The D90 and D5000 are the new steps-up from the D40.
>
> Too rich for my blood. Mama would have my head on a fake silver platter
> in a heartbeat.
>
> > Buying:  Get it from a *photo* shop - they have the expertise
> > & support.  Price won't be much different than the electronics
> > places.  Recommended online places would be B&H, Adorama &
> > Ritz; Ritz now owns Wolf, so that might be a nice option for
> > you if you're in the Atlanta area.
>
> B&H as in the old Bell & Howell? Isn't Ritz/Wolf in bankruptcy? Wouldn't
> that impact purchases?

Nope, B&H Photo Video, site is http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
in New York.  I don't know about Ritz/Wolf bankruptcy, seems
I might've heard in passing {shrug}.  I think were I to get
a D40 I'd go for a factory refurb & the only place I know of
that has them right now is Adorama (also in New York).

Even Wal-Mart has the D40 but I still prefer buying cameras,
especially DSLRs, at a place more knowlegable about and specific
to photography.

Someone mentioned the current Consumer Reports review;
I have that.  Their top "basic" DSLR is the D90 & I highly
recommend it too but it's out of your earlier mentioned budget
constraint.  My (brief, in-store) experience with the D40 (&
it's "small-body" siblings such as the D60 & D80) is that it's
small, light, fast & easy to handle.  IMO a D40, especially a
factory refurb is probably the best buy in a DSLR at this time.

-kc