[ale] OT: DSLR recommendations

Sat Jun 20 01:09:09 EDT 2009

The best local resource is KEH.com what ever say about the condition
of their used gear, you can absolutely trust. I'll also say that in my
experience, while it's good to have fast recycle time and rapid fire,
it would make you a better photographer. It will likely make you
worse. I do equestrian competition photography. I started off trying
to hold down the shutter release as the rider entered a jump, and
shoot until they cleared it. The results were a bunch of almost right
photos. When I finally "manned up" and started waiting for the shot
and pressing the shutter release when the shot was right, I was
getting 3 great shots for every jump instead of 9 of garbage. So,
unless you are going as high as 10+ releases per second, don't worry
about 2.5 vs 3 (4,5,etc.). But then you are going to have to sift
through 30 to get the 3 shots. I'm at above 80% with my timing. I
really appreciate having less cruft to filter out. Especially with
photos of my kids. It almost feel like blasphemy to delete even a
terribly blurred shot. So I don't want to take advantage of rapid fire
there.

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 11:12 PM, Ken Cochran<kwc at theworld.com> wrote:
> I was a photographer before computers discovered me long ago...
> I *highly* recommend the Nikon D40; anything any "better" is
> at least twice the price.  Actually the 1/500s flash sync isn't
> for freezing action (flash'll do that) - it's for balancing the
> light between ambient & flash.  As far as I know there is no
> other DSLR that syncs flash at 1/500 and the D40 is likely to
> be replaced by Nikon before much longer.  Another plus for Nikon
> is their dead-on flash/light exposure/balance; they're the best
> I know of.  The D90 and D5000 are the new steps-up from the D40.
>
> Buying:  Get it from a *photo* shop - they have the expertise
> & support.  Price won't be much different than the electronics
> places.  Recommended online places would be B&H, Adorama &
> Ritz; Ritz now owns Wolf, so that might be a nice option for
> you if you're in the Atlanta area.
>
> -kc
>
>> Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 22:27:17 -0400
>> From: Scott <skotchman at gmail.com>
>> To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts <ale at ale.org>
>> Subject: [ale] OT: DSLR recommendations
>>
>> Hey guys, thanks for the opinions offered. I'm now leaning towards the
>> Nikon D40 even though it only has a burst of 2.5fps and not the 3.0fps.
>> The deciding factor is the flash sync shutter speed of upto 1/500 sec as
>> opposed to 1/200 sec on the 10.x and greater megapixel cameras. This
>> allows for freeze action flash photography and with 3 hyper active
>> monkeys, er I mean grandkids that 1/300 sec could make a difference of
>> smiling angel like faces to blurry devilish imps.

.!# RichardBronosky #!.