[ale] OT: DSLR recommendations

rs at ale.spam.futz.org rs at ale.spam.futz.org
Fri Jun 19 19:50:29 EDT 2009

>I can't believe that my significant other is actually going to let me
>get a new camera. Anyone have any opinions on a good DSLR under $600.00.
>I had originally asked about a Canon that was selling for $899 and she
>basically said no way Jose'. Actually it wasn't as nicely said, but I
>got my son and daughter-in-law on my side so she caved in a little bit.
>Features that I would like is 3fps, more current anti dust technology,
>hot shoe for external flash, and recent image-stabilization technology,
>as my hands aren't as steady as they used to be.

I'd recommend  one of the Sony's. I have the A100, which you can get direct
from Sony for $460

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&XID=O:dslra100k%2Fbstock:dg_ggldf&productId=8198552921665086696

You can look at some of the newer models if you thing you need more than 10MP,
video, or 'live preview'.

The reason I like it:

- Image stabilization is in the camera, so it always works. Nikon and Canon
  have it in the lenses, which means you need the more expensive lenses to get
  it.

- Sony uses the Konica Minolta mount, which means you can get good quality
  lenses for much cheaper than the modern Sony equivalents, or Canon/Nikon
  equivalents.

Disadvantages:

- different hot-shoe than Canon/Nikon... but there is a $30 adapter you can
  get.

- Harder to find lenses in local stores. I prefer getting them from online
  retailers or ebay anyways.. much cheaper.

--
Arguing with an Engineer is like wrestling a pig in mud.
After a while you realize the pig is enjoying it.