[ale] OT: DSLR recommendations

Mills John M-NPHW64 Jmills at motorola.com
Fri Jun 19 15:03:41 EDT 2009

Scott -

You can get detailed technical analyses of many digital camera models (current and old) at [http://www.dpreview.com]. Naturally they all have some good and some weak points. Good points tend to predominate in the write-ups, but you can do both quantitative and qualitative comparisons from their detailed presentations. The paid advertising comes at the end of the each page in terms of offers from shops selling the model whose review you are reading. Throw in local vendors (yes, including Fry's, Best Buy, etc.), and you should be able to shop effectively once you select a couple of models.

I would first make a more complete list of needed features, then a 'short list' of the major brands' models that go head-to-head in the specific camera class that offers your combination. Only then go comparison shopping between those 3-4 cameras. _Do_ make sure the seller has a good reputation for dealing with returns in case you get a defective specimen.

Since we're OT, I'll climb onto the old soapbox (as if I weren't ...):

1. Small differences in control layout and operation can make a huge personal difference in how well a camera works for you. I love my Nikon 'F's and curse my Nikon 'FG-20' due to very minor details in the operating controls. I would never buy any model without trying it in my hands.

2. About 18 months ago I shopped for a 'super-zoom' "SLR-like" model figuring an electronic eye-level finder was my requirement, and a good, non-interchangeable lens would minimize problems. That narrowed the field to about 3 models. I bought a Canon S3 (now replaced a couple of times in their line) and got good results right off the bat - though its manual controls can be a %^$*&!! to use! Last month I bought an end-of-series Pentax K100D (DSLR) at a great sell-off price. I find it's much easier for me to get clean results from the more consumer-oriented Canon - it's more forgiving. I hope and expect I'll get good results from the Pentax, too; it's just going to take some experience to learn how.

This 'mirrors' [sorry &8-)] my experience going from 35mm to 120 film, and in fact I never made a significant number of pictures with the 120 camera though it is very capable.

Let us know how you come out.

Cheers.
 - Mills