[ale] mysql advice

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Thu Jun 18 13:38:51 EDT 2009

Jeff Hubbs wrote:

> In MySQL, IIRC, tables map to individual files.

I think that depends upon which DB backend is in use (Inno, Berkeley, etc).

>  MySQL will have the job
> of sorting out how your multiple write queries to the same table become
> writes to the same file and because of that, write cache will matter.
> Some filesystems (e.g., ext4, JFS) may work better than others.

So true.  Managing many concurrent writes to the same table is going to
be a major issue, no matter how those tables map to filesystem entities.
Benchmark, benchmark, benchmark. (Or "profile, profile, profile". Something
like that, anyway.)

-- JK