[ale] Best WIFI stuff for Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty?

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 12:26:45 EDT 2009

ale at sixit.com wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> Quick survey...  I'd like your opinion on the best WiFi USB adapter (with
> or without cord), best router, and best wifi manager (WICD,
> NetworkManager, etc.) for using Gnome and possibly KDE, E17, etc. on
> Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty).

I wholeheartedly recommend Wicd.  I use it on my Debian & Ubuntu setups
and haven't had any issues.  NetworkManager kept bugging me on my
netbook since it would ask me for my keyring password every time I
connected to my networks.  I found it annoying so I tossed it and loaded
Wicd.

As far as hardware I'm using Atheros and Broadcom chipsets (different
laptops) with no issues.  I did have to initially use a wired interface
or a USB thumbdrive to get the sources (MadWifi for Atheros at the
time), but that wasn't difficult.

I am using both Linksys and Netgear routers and there is no discernible
difference.

For grins take a look at Lxde (lightweight desktop environment).  I
loaded Compiz-Fusion and now it's become my default on my laptop.  I
like a little eyecandy if it doesn't give me a big performance hit.

Good luck.

http://www.arrantdrivel.com/

Where the road takes me - a highwayman's perspective
http://www.prestonboyington.com/