[ale] iphone email connections to dovecot imap

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Wed Jun 17 11:22:50 EDT 2009

I have done this with a self-signed certificate, way back when the iPhone was first released, so I don't remember exact details.
It seems like I had to set up the account on the users mac, after importing the cert into the mac, then sync the config to the iPhone.
It was stupidly complicated.
-jt

James Taylor
The East Cobb Group, Inc.
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
http://www.eastcobbgroup.com

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 10:19 AM, Jason Fritcher <jkf at wolfnet.org> wrote:

> On Jun 16, 2009, at 6:17 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to connect an iphone to a dovecot imap server. The dovecot
> > server is setup to use ssl/tls. I can get to it remotely using a
> > thunderbird client but the stupid iphone doesn't connect at all. After
> > the config process tries it's test it asks to try without ssl and
> > still fails.
> >
> > Watching the /var/log/messages for an incoming connection at the same
> > time and I never see the iphone attempt a connection but I always see
> > the thunderbird connection.
> >
> > ideas?
>
> I've set this up myself, and the only real issue I have is if I let
> itunes sync the account information to the phone, it doesn't work
> right because the certificate I am using is self-signed. If I setup
> the account manually on the phone, it works correctly. Are you using
> starttls or port 993? I went the port 993 route and bypassed starttls.

Hmm. I _do_ have a self-signed cert. I am using an account on the phone not
syncing through itunes (I think - settings->mail->new account->config
servers and connection types and usernames, etc)

Tried starttls and 993 ssl . Will be doing this all over again with tcpdump
on multiple nodes for traffic checks later tonight.

> --
> Jason Fritcher
> jkf at wolfnet.org

James P. Kinney III