[ale] Local name resolution

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Thu Jun 11 16:06:20 EDT 2009

foster7152 at bellsouth.net wrote:
> Greetings
> I don't know why there aren't lots of pertinent questions online.  My
> WAP is the DHCP server for machines configured non-statically.  I assume
> for an NFS shared directory I have to have the client machines featured
> in, like, hosts, hosts.allow, and stuff like that there.

You shouldn't need to do that. The only place you should need to mention
the NFS clients is in /etc/exports, and you can allow your whole subnet
there.

> but succeeded with the notebook without it by making static the "server's" IP addr,

Yes, the server will need a static ip address that you can include in
each client's /etc/fstab.

> (but I want to keep dynamic assignment if possible.)

If you'd like the server to request an address from DHCP but always
receive the same one when on your local network, dnsmasq can be
configured to do that.

--
All the best,
Brian Pitts