[ale] [OT] Saturn (Was: Re: everyones favorite chair tosser pitches a tax tantrum)

Michael B. Trausch mbt at zest.trausch.us
Mon Jun 8 13:14:15 EDT 2009

On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 09:28:31 -0400
"Jeff Lightner" <jlightner at water.com> wrote:

> I was going to say that - Penske (a major dealer group) is supposed to
> be buying Saturn.  They'll contract with GM to make the cars for
> now.
>
> My co-worker who has owned Saturns for years said they sent a letter
> indicating they're more or less independent anyway and had the option
> of buying themselves out of GM which is what they would do rather than
> shutdown.  They also noted the way they are structured means they can
> have someone other than GM build their cars.  That letter was some
> months ago before last week's discussion of the Penske buy out.

I don't really care *why* Saturn is staying alive... I am just glad
that they are.  Saturns are the only types of car that I have actually
had great (not good, great) experiences with.  Parts are a bit more
expensive, but they last a hell of a long time, and when treated right,
I've seen several Saturn vehicles make it to 400,000 miles and still be
running excellently.

I remember reading---though I don't remember where---that 80% of all
vehicles that Saturn has manufactured since its inception are still on
the road.  I'd be inclined to believe that figure, given my personal
experiences with Saturn cars.  The last car I purchased was a Saturn,
and the next car I purchase will, thanks to Penske, also be a
Saturn.  :-)

	--- Mike

tried it.
                            --- Donald Knuth, 1977