[ale] Debian virtualization suggestions

Mon Jun 8 09:00:42 EDT 2009

Another +1 for Xen. At the AJC we have gone P-to-V on about half of
our 12 RHEL servers that face the public. I would highly recommend
isolating your Apache instances by app layer. That is to say,
dedicated Python/Django cluster, dedicated Ruby/Rails cluster,
dedicated PHP cluster. I see people run 2 or three of those modules in
a single Apache instance all the time. The result is that every
request occupies the memory needed for all the modules, even though it
only needs the one. That devastates your concurrent connection
capacity.

Also look into worker MPM, and for the app layers mentioned above...
mod_wsgi, mod_passenger, and fast CGI respectively.

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 8:19 AM, Geoffrey<lists at serioustechnology.com> wrote:
> Jeremy T. Bouse wrote:
>>
>> Jim Popovitch wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> What's a highly recommended open source virtualization solution for
>>> Debian?  I'm looking to separate/isolate multiple apache instances on
>>> a shared host.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> -Jim P.
>>
>>       While not on Debian specifically, I know it's available and supported,
>> I've had great success with using Xen virtualization myself. I've used
>> it, VMware and Sun VirtualBox and find Xen to have given me the best
>> performance.
>
> One of my clients has an 8 node Red Hat cluster that runs multiple Xen
> virtual servers on top of that.  It's sweet if you're running Linux.
> Windows is a bit of a dog on top of Xen as it's got to be fully virtualized.
>
> --
> Until later, Geoffrey
>
> Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little
> temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
>  - Benjamin Franklin

.!# RichardBronosky #!.