[ale] OT: Clear Wimax going live on June 16

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Mon Jun 8 08:26:37 EDT 2009

Jim Philips wrote:
> So far, it looks like there is no Linux or Mac driver support for the
> USB modem. If you get the home unit, it's just an ethernet connection
> and there is no driver to think about.

Beware their website.  If it says you have coverage in your area, but
the only options are mobile, then you do not have coverage at your
address.  We were looking into Clear for our Church.  I was excited to
see that (supposedly) we had coverage.  I called to verify, and the
sales guy told me that if the option provided did not include a
stationary device, then you would likely have no service at your
specified location.

> On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 6:55 PM, Jim Philips <briarpatch.jim at gmail.com
> <mailto:briarpatch.jim at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I was at Perimeter Mall today and the Clear Wimax people had a booth
>     set up. They have some special offers for the launch. See what they
>     have at:
>
>     http://www.clear.com
>
>     The price points are very reasonable. Does anybody have any ideas on
>     compatibility of USB Wimax modems and Linux?

Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin