[ale] Debian virtualization suggestions

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sat Jun 6 22:29:17 EDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-06-06 at 21:09 -0400, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> Hi,

> What's a highly recommended open source virtualization solution for
> Debian?  I'm looking to separate/isolate multiple apache instances on
> a shared host.

	From the way you just described it, it sounds like a situation where
all the instances can run on a common kernel (i.e. OS virtualization)
and my choice, by far, in that situation would be OpenVZ,
www.openvz.org.

	If you are not running things like foreign operating systems (non-linux
on linux) then you do NOT need a heavy weight virtualization like
paravirtualization (VirtualBox or Xen), hardware virtualization (lkvm,
Xen, VMware ESX) or native virtualization (VMware workstation / server).
The heavy weights are just wasting CPU cycles if all you need is
everything running on a Linux kernel.

	If you are adventuresome, the 2.6.29 kernel has pretty much all of lxc
(Linux Containers) which does pretty much the same thing as OpenVZ or
Linux-vservers.  These are all the equivalent of the *BSD jails/gaols or
Solaris containers or zones.

	My personal preference is for OpenVZ (I have over 3 dozen virtual
machines running on a single system and the load average rarely goes
above .1) but Linux-vservers works just as well (a little different
paradigm) and lxc is going to be the mainstream inheritor of both those
projects a little ways down the road.

> Thanks!

> -Jim P.

	Mike