[ale] Big laptop advice

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Sat Jun 6 18:23:41 EDT 2009

> I know I'm an abberation on list, but one of my top criteria for a laptop is
> weight, probably because I lug it through the airport every week.  I've been
> really happy with my Macbook Pro.  It's certainly not cheap, but it has a
> really nice screen, and in addition to OS-X, can natively run whatever Linux
> flavor you want.  VMware Fusion is also super cheap if you'd prefer several
> OSes in VMs.

After playing with one in the store for an hour... (MacBook Pro)

and playing with a Sony with a 1920x1080 18.4" screen..
a very very bright and crisp screen.
I bought the Sony. Via NewEgg, because the store's only one left was the
display... and it' had been played with a lot (H.H.Gregg, Chattanooga)

I bought a monster:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834117886

17.2" by 11.4" 1.6".. 8.8 pounds.

But as a portable dev system.. I think it'll rock
lots of screen space.

I'll let ya'll know how well it runs Ubuntu/Debian..
except for the webcam, it all looks pretty well supported.