[ale] Big laptop advice

Matt Rideout mrideout at windserve.com
Sat Jun 6 14:10:45 EDT 2009

My portable (when I need something more than the N810) is a 13" MacBook
that dual boots Ubuntu 9.04 and OS X 10.5. I have no complaints.

Since Linux doesn't support HFS+ without disabling journaling, and I
don't fully trust OS X's ext3 support, what I ended up doing was
creating an HFS+ partition with journaling disabled specifically for
sharing data between the two OSs. My VMs, Thunderbird profile, Dropbox
directory, etc are placed in there. VMs are swapped between VMware
Fusion or VMware Server, depending on what OS I'm running at the time.

Apple's hardware is solid. The MacBook's predecessor was an iBook G4
which was run over by a car after years of service (don't ask :)). The
screen was cracked, but everything else continued to function, so it was
relegated to living room media server duty.

Stop by an Apple Store with an Ubuntu Live CD, and they'll probably let
you try it out on a MacBook Pro. The Live CD works just fine on my MacBook.

When I bought the MacBook, getting the minimum RAM and hard drive
configuration, then dropping in 4GB and 500GB replacements saved a
couple hundred dollars vs getting the upgrades direct.