[ale] [OT] Leaky Power Steering

justin caratzas justin.caratzas at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 15:12:06 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 3:06 PM, tom <tfreeman at intel.digichem.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Jun 2009, Marc Ferguson wrote:
>
> > Hey Fellas,
> >
> > Let me know if this is NOT the place to post this "off topic" item. I'm
> kind
> > of not even remotely qualified to work on my car. I know how to change my
> > oil and I did change the radiator once (with the guidance of a friend),
> but
> > other than that, I'm no good with maintaining my car.
> >
> > My wife and I discovered that our power steering is leaking. It's gotten
> > the point where there's a steady stream leaking out. So; it'll be bone
> dry
> > before we get to our destination. Is there a good web site to research
> more
> > information or something to point me into the right direction?
> >
> > I've got a 2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS with 180K+ miles.  Thanks.
>
> I suspect that there are several on this list that could wander over and
> supervise replacing whatever component(s) are leaking, including getting
> the parts from the auto store.
>
> Me? I'd head over to a mechanic and pay. I happen to like my dealer (it is
> a Mazda, but it is the shop management that counts), so I would head
> there.
>
> OTOH, if the Elantra isn't that heavy of a car ( I don't know ) I might be
> tempted to drive it without power assist. I drove a station wagon that way
> years ago, although with the newer cars I'm never quite sure what is extra
> and what isn't.
>
> YMWV of course.

Its different with these newer cars, you simply can't ignore leaking power
steering fluid b/c you drove an old car without it.  The newer cars become
undriveable when the power steering goes.  I had a buddy of my with a 2001
honda something or other, and had the same problem.  I drove it, and we
couldn't turn at all.  Def should be fixed ASAP