[ale] OT Recommended Domain Registrars

aaron aaron at pd.org
Thu Jun 4 01:55:04 EDT 2009

[back on list... since I wanted to say thanks anyway!]

On 2009, Jun, 02, , at 7:50 PM, Andrew Grieser wrote:
> Aaron,
> I was wondering how this turned out for you, since I
> am also looking to register a domain name and need
> DNS hosting.
>
> Who did you end up using?
>
> Andrew

Thanks to everyone who replied to my registrar
recommendations request.

I haven't actually done the registration yet because
the client is waffling on the _exact_ domain name, but
when I do their registration I will likely be going with
< http://uf.register4less.com/ >.

A couple of folks suggested DynDNS, and I actually
have an org/net/com set of names registered there. On
the surface it looked like their pricing was comparable
to GoDaddy but they had far less consumer harassment
going on with their web pages.  I ignorantly ignored
the rule of "Never Assume" and registered the names with
them. Later, when my server was ready and I went to set
my "A" record as a Dynamic DNS, I was extremely displeased
to find out that their registration did NOT include any
actual DNS hosting services, dynamic or otherwise, and
I had to fork out another 27.50 per year hosting fee on
our .org domain for that "feature".

I since discovered ZoneEdit.com, which will host your
first 5 domains for free, static or dynamic, so long
as the DNS request volume is reasonable. They then have
very reasonable rates for hosting additional domains.
Unfortunately, they don't also do the actual domain
registration part, just the DNS hosting.

So, based on issues of price, the DNS hosting features
_included_ in that price, and some perceivable level
of corporate conscience, my top pic is Register4less
at $15 per year, recommended because of their sponsorship
of "UserFriendly.org" and my sense from their site
presentation that they are also Linux centric. Second
choice was Brian's recommended gandi.net, but it is my
understanding that their DNS servers are overseas and
their total cost comes to $18 per year due to a $3
"We're in Europe" tax.

If price was a more singular priority, then I might
have gone with < http://www.mydomain.com/ >, one that
I ran across in my Google searches. They advertise
$10 per year including DNS hosting, but the DNS
management features look a little thinner than
Register4less.com and Gandi.net.

HTH!
peace
aaron