[ale] Epson Scanner

Jim Moore mo9916 at numail.org
Wed Jun 3 14:45:13 EDT 2009

Am trying to get an Epson Perfection 2450 Photo to run under Debian
Lenny with a KDE desktop.
This is on a Dell Dimension 4700.
Running "lsusb" gives the following results:

Bus 005 Device 006: ID 04b8:0112 Seiko Epson Corp. Perfection 2450
Bus 005 Device 005: ID 0781:5151 SanDisk Corp. Cruzer Micro 256/512MB
Flash Drive
Bus 005 Device 003: ID 1385:4251 Netgear, Inc
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 413c:3010 Dell Computer Corp. Optical Wheel Mouse
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Now I found the Avasys site and downloaded and installed the Debian
package for the scanner.

When I try to run  /iscan/ I get the message :

"Could not send command to scanner. Check the scanner's status"

Found this post on the Avasys message board:

I tried everything to get my brand new Epson TX800FW scanning to Linux
(Ubuntu 9.04).
The iscan deb package wouldn't install so I managed to compile iscan
2.19.0 from
source after installing a heap of required miscellaneous packages but
iscan just
refused to recognise the scanner.
("Could not send command to scanner. Check the scanner's status")

I finally resorted to running an strace on iscan and found that it was
looking for
the epkowa libraries in /usr/local/lib whereas the iscan "make install"
had installed
the libraries in /usr/local/lib/sane.

Setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /usr/local/lib/sane fixed my problem.

Note that this was after adding a line "epkowa" to /etc/sane.d/dll.conf

I also had to add the udev rule for sane to allow members of the scanner
group to
access the device. To do this, I created
/etc/udev/rules.d/45-libsane.rules and
added the single line:
SYSFS{idVendor}=="04b8", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0844", MODE="664",
GROUP="scanner"
The vender ID and product ID having been obtained from sane-find-scanner.
Then had to run /etc/init.d/udev restart.

If I open /usr/local/lib  with nano, it's empty.

I opened /etc/sane.d/dll.conf with nano and added the line "epkowa" as
suggested.

I'm still nowhere and getting the message: ("Could not send command to
scanner. Check the scanner's status")
when I try to start /iscan/.

Can anyone shed any light on this?  Alternatively is there another route
that might possible lead to being able to use the scanner?

Thanks,
Jim Moore