[ale] is there an open source program permitting creating/editing of PDF files ?

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 14:11:07 EDT 2009

"There is also specialized software for editing PDF files, though the
choices are much more limited and often expensive. Adobe Acrobat
Professional is one example of software that allows the user to
annotate (highlight, add notes to) already created PDF files. A free
one is PDFedit. As of version 0.46, Inkscape also allows PDF editing
through an intermediate translation step involving poppler. A freeware
desktop program also exists which allows PDF format order forms and
applications to be filled in and printed off, even those previously
uneditable using Adobe Reader." -- [1]

The second sentence is the key. Acrobat allows you _annotate_ already
created PDFs. To actually edit the PDF, you need the source materials.
To reinforce this point:

"Make simple changes to a PDF document without the source file or application

Typos, layout issues, and other minor errors can threaten to delay
your project. Editing the original file may be too time-consuming, or
even impossible if you do not have the appropriate software and source
files.

With Adobe® Acrobat® 9 software, you can work directly within a PDF
document to implement minor changes. Easily add or replace text and
make changes to color, word spacing, character spacing, and text size.
You can also move or edit objects such as images and tables." -- [2]

[1] -- http://tinyurl.com/e2vvx
[2] -- http://tinyurl.com/yojbz4

--
James Sumners