[ale] OpenLDAP: So close and yet so far

Jeff Hubbs jeffrey.hubbs at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 10:12:19 EDT 2009

I've gotten an OpenLDAP server running and an OpenLDAP client configured
(same machine for now, but other clients will follow once I finally get this
working) to the point where if I try to log in to the client, I get
"sshd[3069]: pam_ldap: error trying to bind as user
"uid=jeffldap,ou=Users,dc=clacorp,dc=com" (Invalid credentials)" in
/var/log/messages.  I don't get that message if I use some random
known-not-good username, but I do get it if I use the right username but a
bad password.  I can use the right password to run ldapsearch for myself *as
myself* and get a good result and ldapwhoami also works.  Where might I have
gone wrong?

- Jeff