[ale] WAY OT: Sealing a honey jar?

Jim Sculley niceguyj at comcast.net
Tue Jun 2 18:45:07 EDT 2009

Robert L. Harris wrote:
>    Sorry this is so far off but I need some bright minds and this list
> has the best.
>
>    I just found a honey pot/dispenser like my grandmother had. It has
> a silver lever at the top which moves a plunger inside to let the
> honey drop out. The seal on the plunger is gone due to age. Need
> suggestions on what is safe to use of re-coat the plunger and how best
> to mold it.

Is the plunger held in place by gravity?  If so, can you simply reverse
the seal by gluing an appropriately sized o-ring in the bottom of the jar?

Strip the old material off of the plunger and polish it up to make a
good sealing surface.

McMaster Carr has all sorts of food grade (FDA approved) o-rings in all
sorts of sizes.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#o-rings/=25alyb

Jim S.