[ale] OT: a question on cable connections

Scott skotchman at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 09:20:47 EDT 2009

Jim Philips wrote:
> Apparently, the magic trigger is calling to cancel your account. I
> tried that. They asked if there was anything they could do. My
> response was:
>
> "Yes. Get me a tech support guy who can troubleshoot line problems and
> is willing to tell me what he is doing to solve the problem.
> Otherwise, cancel the account."
>
> They could see that a guy checked my line yesterday, but he didn't
> leave any notes whatsoever. I explained how that isn't exactly
> troubleshooting. So, today, they are promising a person will come and
> reprovision the line or do whatever is needed to make the DSL
> connection stay up. The lesson is: Never spend more than five minutes
> on the call center tech support crew. All they know how to do is tell
> you to restart your modem. I'll let people know if I actually have a
> stable connection by the end of the day.
Actually they work from a script on their PC screen. I used to work for
a company that made systems for call centers and everything was
scripted. Our own first level support used the same system to work with
end-users. This allows for someone with minimal tech knowledge to work
the position. Translation = Cheap Labor.