[ale] fake usb drive

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 11:43:47 EDT 2009

Jim Kinney wrote:
> I want to test an installation process on specific hardware. I would
> like to do this without burning a g'zillion DVD's.
>
> Ideally, I would like to have the DVD.iso on my laptop be seen by the
> real hardware as a USB DVD drive. My gut instinct is that buring DVD's
> will be faster than trying to create a fake chunk of hardware. But my
> laptop has no DVD burner so I must use one from elsewhere
> (non-portable) and come back to the real machine with a warm disk.
>
> Any ideas how to send "Hi! I'm a DVD drive" fake data down the USB
> cable when probed by BIOS? Then how to go about having the iso be "in
> the drive".

UNetbootin (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/) maybe?

"UNetbootin allows you to create bootable Live USB drives for a variety
of Linux distributions from Windows or Linux, without requiring you to
burn a CD."

http://www.arrantdrivel.com/

Where the road takes me - a highwayman's perspective
http://www.prestonboyington.com/