[ale] using ipod touch or iphone with linux

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Mon Jun 1 09:16:40 EDT 2009

Jerald Sheets wrote:
> On May 31, 2009, at 2:30 PM, Mike Harrison wrote:
>
>>> As a Linux user and freedom zealot, I'm very glad Microsoft came out
>>> on top and not apple. Every time I power on the G4 I get an urge to
>>> goosestep around the room while it boots up.
>> the Apple mindset works well if you are a mundane user and are
>> willing to
>> pay for.. well.. everything..
>>
>> If you are a geek or power-user, you must be willing to drink the
>> kool-aid and enjoy it.
>>
>> I have my personal music stored under a WiFi file sharing program
>> called
>> "Air Share" which works for me. - out of itunes perusal and control.
>

> I always find it so humorous that the people I probably respect
> technologically more than most I've met in my almost 20-year career
> start whining like toddlers when talking about Apple products.
>
> It's really funny.  No, really.
>
> After using a Windows laptop several years ago, and the fighting
> through the somewhat unfinished GUI in Linux-land, I bought my first
> Mac in '05.  I've not looked back since.  NO products out there are as
> well thought out, well designed, well integrated, and easily
> manageable as these.
>
> And I use Linux on my desktop at work.
>
> When I get home and get back into may laptop, It is a relief from
> dealing with Linux all day.  If I couldn't just open up shells, and
> never use the GUI, Linux would drive me positively mad on the desktop.
>
> As a server, however, I don't think it can be beat, though, and am a
> very happy admin when it comes to Linux.
>
> Relax, folks.  They're just computers.  In comparison to a sunrise or
> a walk in the country or good times with good friends,  they're just a
> box of junk.

Well said Jerald.  I've had my Mac for about a year now.  I love it,
although I still spend most of my time in Linux, even on my Mac.  Both
my iphone and ipod sync to my Mac.  I quickly moved to the Mac in
converting my videos to dvd once I saw how easy it was.  I respect both
OSs, but I must say, the mac is slick and it just works.

Will be picking up a new Macbook Pro next week for my daughter as she
will be starting at GA Tech in the fall.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin