[ale] Comcast DNS

Scott skotchman at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 07:54:56 EDT 2009

David Ritchie wrote:
> Hints to speeding up DNS resolution:
>
> 1) Download Wireshark and perform a trace while navigating via
> browser. Sort the
> results by protocol.  You arelooking for DNS queries. If you see a AAAA query,
> you are trying to resolve via an IPv6 DNS lookup.
>
> This sounds good right up to the point that no IPv6 DNS
> server responds (because you are sitting on a IPv4 network). This will timeout,
> and then typically a IPv4 (A type) query will go down the wire and be resolved.
> The problem is that it takes about 10 seconds for this process to complete.
>
> 2) Turn off IPv6 resolution in your browser (Firefox defaults to this being ON,
> for some insane reason.) "about:config", click through to get to the config
> and type ipv6 in the search box - it will pull up
> 'network.dns.disableIPv6' - if this is
> not true, toggle the entry to make this true...
>
> Most of the time this will resolve the problem.

David, thanks for the suggestion. I do remember this ipv6 issue sometime
back and had set it to true then and at the time I remember a
performance improvement. I went ahead and checked it again now on the
possibility that any updates may have reset it, but it is still set to
true. I'm not 100% sure that it's a DNS issue. When I go to a site I've
been watching the FF status line, and noticed that sometimes it's been
taking a long time looking for the named site, other times it takes a
long time to connect and then go through all of the info transfers. I
have noticed a performance downgrade going from charter to comcast. When
I was on charter the sites  came up much quicker, now it seems to pause
for long periods at each step on the way from entering the url to  fully
displaying the page.