[ale] Windows restore partitions

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Fri Jul 31 15:37:08 EDT 2009

On 07/31/2009 02:22:05 PM, john anderson wrote:
> Awhile back I installed Ubuntu as a dual boot on a windows
> box. I ran
> into an issue where the 'restore partition' for windows
> showed up in the
> boot loader selections as a boot choice. The problem is
> that this makes
> it a little too easy to wipe and reset the the windows
> partition.
>
> Now, admittedly its the windows partition we are talking
> about, but I
> would like to avoid this as a potential problem when I
> talk people into
> trying Linux.
>
> I am planning on installing Ubuntu 9.04 on my niece's
> computer but I am
> afraid that a poor keystroke by her or her little brother
> could cause
> havoc. I figure I could maybe comment out that line in the
> grub file.
> Would this solve the issue and how would you then run the
> restore
> partition when you actually wanted to. (Or rather how
> would I explain
> this over the phone.)

Before taking this at face value, check with the
documentation first. However, if memory serves, you can set
a password requirement for any line in the boot menu.

Of course, since I've never done this, please don't ask
_how_. In fact, if my memory proves to be correct, would
you be so kind as to document it to the list please??
Locking up the restore partition and the single user boot
option strikes me as a "good idea"...