[ale] Windows restore partitions

john anderson j at intte.com
Fri Jul 31 14:22:05 EDT 2009

Awhile back I installed Ubuntu as a dual boot on a windows box. I ran
into an issue where the 'restore partition' for windows showed up in the
boot loader selections as a boot choice. The problem is that this makes
it a little too easy to wipe and reset the the windows partition.

Now, admittedly its the windows partition we are talking about, but I
would like to avoid this as a potential problem when I talk people into
trying Linux.

I am planning on installing Ubuntu 9.04 on my niece's computer but I am
afraid that a poor keystroke by her or her little brother could cause
havoc. I figure I could maybe comment out that line in the grub file.
Would this solve the issue and how would you then run the restore
partition when you actually wanted to. (Or rather how would I explain
this over the phone.)