[ale] Fault Tolerant High Read Rate System Configuration

Jeff Layton laytonjb at att.net
Tue Jul 28 16:17:50 EDT 2009

Since you're hitting small files (less than 1MB), I would guess you're more IOPS driven than throughput driven. Also, since it's primarily reads, why not consider SSDs? They are pricey, but they have really good read performance (much better than their write performance). If you need even more performance, you can use RAID-0 across a few of them.

If you want to do HA then put the primary source of data on an iSCSI SAN and then rsync the data between it and the SSD's in two nodes.

One other option if you need even more performance is to use a ramdisk. I'm not sure how an HA configuration would look like in this case though... (never tried that).

I think it's worth an experiment to try the SSD's. You can get a couple of Intel drives for less than $1K. It would be good to see the performance difference between it and the current system.

Jeff