[ale] File System for Newbs

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 08:27:42 EDT 2009

True. But what if you want to install something for all users and the
package isn't available in the system's package repository? You would
be better off using /opt or /usr/local in that case.

Or maybe you don't like the way MySQL is packaged for the distribution
in question. Installing to /opt/mysql/ would be a more appropriate
location than ~/local/.

--
James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/