[ale] OT: Clear Wimax going live on June 16

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Mon Jul 27 13:33:56 EDT 2009

On 07/27/2009 01:02 PM, Sean McNealy wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 12:36 PM, Geoffrey<lists at serioustechnology.com> wrote:
>
>> Some confusion there, on my part, possibly on others.  The original post
>> references 'clear wimax' which is www.clear.com, whereas
>> clearwiresucks.com is in reference to www.clearwire.com.
>>

> I was under the impression that Clear and Clearwire were both brands
> run by Comcast.  Anyone want to backup or contradict my memory?

Clear is a brand name used by the company Clearwire. According to wikipedia

"On May 7, 2008, Clearwire and Sprint Nextel's wireless broadband unit
Xohm announced their intent to merge, combining Sprint's 4G WiMax
network (Xohm) with Clearwire's existing pre-Wimax broadband network.
Sprint will own 51% of the firm, with ex-Clearwire shareholders owning
27% - a consortium of Comcast, Time Warner, Intel, Google, and Bright
House will invest $3.2 billion and own the balance. Clearwire and the
cable companies will buy 3G mobile broadband from Sprint as MVNOs"

--
All the best,
Brian Pitts