[ale] Gnome applets

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 13:50:50 EDT 2009

On 07/25/2009 10:33 AM, Geoffrey wrote:
> Collin Pruitt wrote:
>>> Message: 1 Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 13:48:11 -0400 From: Scott
>>> Castaline<skotchman at gmail.com>  Subject: [ale] Gnome applets To:
>>> ALE<ale at ale.org>  Message-ID:<4A68A25B.70105 at gmail.com>
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how accurate the sensors-applet is? I have version
>>>   2.2.1 on Fedora 11. I have a dual core processor and the applet
>>> displays 4 icons with temps next to each one. I've been assuming
>>> that the total of 2 equals the temp of one of the cores and all 4
>>> is the total of the chip. Starting today actually a few minutes ago
>>> during an update all four icons were showing orange (>95 deg. F
>>> each icon). After reboot the first 2 icons (counting left to right)
>>> would stay right around 95 and the other 2 were around 93 each.
>>> I've never seen it do this before and now while typing it seems to
>>> have gone more normal. Any concern on my part need to be addressed?
>>>

>> You should be fine; the sensor applets are reading  directly from the
>> tempreature sensors on the CPU. If it is incorrect, it is more than
>> likely a problem with the sensors themselves.
>
> I've not played with this in a while, but I recall that you had a
> configuration file that you had to modify in order for the sensors to
> properly produce valid results.  Is this all automated now?

Within the GUI you can set preferences. There are 2 tabs 1st is General
Options which sets how to display, Temperature Scale (F, C, or K),
Update intervals, and whether to display update notifications. The 2nd
tab is Sensors, which at least in my situation shows libsensors in
directory tree format. If I open that names of sensors, icons, labels
and a check box to enable or not. In my case since I have left at
default settings here the Sensor and label are the same and all enabled
as follows; Core0 Temp, Core0 Temp, Core1 Temp, Core1 Temp (I've only
listed the sensors field content since the Label contents the same so
there are 2 of each core). You have the ability to move each one up or
down as well as editing its properties. The configurable properties are
the Scaling Parameters(Sensor value multiplier & Sensor value offset),
Sensor Limits (Sensor low value & Sensor high value), Alarm (checkbox to
Enable alarm with options to set for Alarm repeat interval in secs, Low
Alarm command, & High alarm command), Icon (select Sensor Icon), &
Graph, Graph color). Mine are just set to defaults (1.000, 0.000;
68.000, 140.000; Alarm not enabled.) I haven't explored for the actual
config file, so I don't know if it's just a text file that can be
directly changed in an editor or has to be done by CLI command only.
Sorry if my long dissertation is TMI, but I don't know if you have this
on your system or not. It seems to be more flexible than the version in
F 10, and the readings to me seem more realistic on the newer one. I was
just wondering how accurate it was, if there were any layer(s) of
software that interfered with the actual hardware. I don't know if that
last thing made any sense or not, but hopefully I got my question across.