[ale] ipods under linux

Jim Philips briarpatch.jim at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 11:21:20 EDT 2009

On 07/25/2009 11:04 AM, Geoffrey wrote:

>> Apple's been shifting away from DRM for a good long while, now, and at
>> this point everything on the iTunes store is DRM-free.  Yes, it's AAC
>> and not MP3, but no DRM.  In fact, I would be quite surprised if it
>> didn't turn out that it'd been thanks to Apple's efforts with the labels
>> etc. that had led to the likes of Amazon being able to offer music DRM
>> free.
>>
> And as I noted earlier, you can burn a cd of any of your iTunes music,
> drop that on your Linux box, convert to drm-free mp3s.

All of this just reinforces that fact that Apple forces you to jump
through hoops to play music you purchased from them if you don't play it
on their devices. The fact that you know how to jump through the hoops
doesn't make it an acceptable situation. It was this kind of chicanery
that brought me to Linux in the first place. I want devices and file
formats that don't treat me like a child.