[ale] Opera Reinvents the Internet?

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 19:28:16 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 10:21 AM, aaron<aaron at pd.org> wrote:

> On 2009, Jul, 24, , at 9:12 AM, Brandon Checketts wrote:
>
>> Interesting concept I guess, but I don't see it really taking off.
>>> From a technical standpoint, I see several problems:
> The service does not require a registered domain name for your
> personal web pages, so it would make sense that an outside routing
> agent would be needed. The remote access URL's talked  about in the
> "Getting Started" video took some form of "xxx.opera.com/username".

Sound to me like you won't need to open your router.  Opera will act
as a proxy for you, and the services will reach out through your
firewall/router to Opera to make the initial connection.  So users
will connect through Opera which passes the request on to your home
computer, then the data flows out, probably back through Opera.

So it won't be quite as efficient as a direct connection, but who the
hell cares?  An you can have multiple servers in your house--one for
each computer, all on the same port w/o trouble.

Sweet solution.

Michael