[ale] Misc ramblings of a diseased mind

aaron aaron at pd.org
Wed Jul 22 10:28:48 EDT 2009

Continuing in the spirit of the Subject line:

On 2009, Jul, 21, , at 12:25 PM, Richard Bronosky wrote:
> I used to use 2 cell phones (free minutes within same network) as a
> baby monitor so that I could work in the garden while the baby naps.
> Then I realized that walkie talkies would be better. They now have
> Duplex and VOX walkie talkies. I think that motorcyclists use these
> for "interbike" communications also. Having to push the button on a
> half duplex system would be a deal breaker.

<rambling_but_automatic_back_story>

In 1983 my life partner and I enjoyed a 3 month "un-honeymoon"
by driving a pair of motorcycles 10,000+ miles on a coast to coast
loop around the U.S. and Canada. We figured that if our commitment
to the relationship could survive the journey, it might even be able
to survive raising a child or two.

She got the cherry ride, the antique 1959 BMW R69, since it was
low enough that she could pant her feet on the ground while mounted
and hold the 350 lb. load upright. Plans to restore a second BMW
didn't work out, so I ended up with my Yamaha 850 triple, which I
had dubbed the "Deer Hunter" (but that's another story...).  We
had to be apart for most of the year leading up to the trip, so
I only had about 3 weeks to teach her to ride. She passed her
driving test (thanks to a lenient examiner giving a second pass
on the slow turn challenge), and got her motorcycle license 2
days before we left.

We worked out a set of hand signals for the simple communications
on the road, but we knew that being able to actually talk to one
another would make the trip a whole lot more pleasant. After some
searching, we found a perfect and affordable solution with some
2-way radios that radio shack sold. They were little belt packs
with an attached headphone / boom mic that included a wire antenna
that clipped across the head band. We had chosen to use open style
half-helmets for the trip -- the kind you see cycle cops wearing --
and after removing the head band, the radio earpiece and boom mic
part fit nicely inside the helmet's ear flap, and the wire antenna
could be tucked around the inside rim between the shell and foam.

Vox wasn't much use while riding thanks to wind noise in the mic,
but push to talk on the belt pack wasn't too inconvenient.  Range
was only about half a mile, but that was plenty for our needs.

</rambling_but_automatic_back_story>

All of that fun was just to say that I think the the best choice
for your caravan communications would be any of the FRS/GMRS radios
that are on the market now. The FCC has opened up the CB bands since
my motorcycling days, so the FRS/GMRS class radios have 22 channels,
and ranges of 5 miles or more. 14 privacy encoded sub-channels and VOX
are also a standard features now.

I have several FRS/GMRS 2-way radios that have proven handy for
video shoots, running A/V at events and installing Linux computers
in school buildings (: which brings this post neatly on topic :).
I found them on a close out deal and they cost me about $12 each.
The units I have can work with a standard cell phone type head set,
though that requires an adapter to from the micro stereo plug to
1/8" mini plug. They run on 4 AAA batts and I've found battery life
is about 10 to 12 hrs.  There are rechargeable units available too,
but for the caravan application you might want to hunt for something
that accepts power from a 12v car adapter.

Just my 2$ and change!

peace
aaron