[ale] Misc ramblings of a diseased mind

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Jul 21 14:08:07 EDT 2009

I went on a trip to a technical show in Orlando back in 2008.  At the
GA-FL border I called out for a pal on 146.520.  We conversed all the
way down.  At some point he was 10miles in front of me and gave me heads
up on cops, traffic, etc.

He had a mobile radio and I was using a 5w HT (handi-talkie) with a mag
mount on the roof of our vehicle.

FRS is a decent solution but it is only .5w(half a watt).  *NO*
modifications are allowed to FRS/GMRS radios you buy at the store.  This
means you can not rip out the rubber duckie and add BNC for mag mount
antenna.  I tried a trip using FRS and it absolutely sucked.

UHF is better suited for urban where VHF works well in rural.  I guess
you could go with MURS.

For MURS you could go to 409shop.com and purchase two VHF radios capable
of doung 5W on 134 - 170 mHz.  Make suer to stay on the MURS
frequencies!  MURS is 5W and external antennas are allowed.  You can
even do digital on MURS frequencies.  Maybe have some fun with PSK31.

Of course if you read a book, take a test for $14 then you can use
Amateur frequencies and use repeaters.  Now you have distance.  For
example there is one near Mt. Mitchell that has a 300 mile foot print.
>From Spartanburg up you can use it.

The CB idea just sucks.  CBs legally are limited to 4w and they don't
really go far.  However if you wait until the sunspots peak you should
be able to talk to people all over the country on one.  For me,  I'll
stick to 20m and longer wave lengths.