[ale] pigs do fly

Tim Watts timtw at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 21 13:07:28 EDT 2009

On Tuesday 21 July 2009 5:21:45 am Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> (most of MS'
> products are open source if you have enough money).

Whoa! Surely you misspoke. Any basic definition of this term means that I can
freely access, modify and share the source code. Sure, I can get the MS source
with enough money, but I can't share it with anyone without huge legal risks.
I'm not sure I'd even be allowed to modify/build/deploy it in my own company
(i.e. they'll sell you the code for debugging purposes only). How does that
qualify as open source?

But more on-topic: I agree that this code deserves an unbiased review. But I
also think that, given MS's long history of undermining interoperability and
cooperation and their ruthless market behaviour, their contributions should be
regarded with more circumspect than others. It's not paranoia when they really
are out to get you :-)

--
Love all, trust a few. Do wrong to none.
 -- William Shakespeare