[ale] [OT] For Aaron: preloaded election results in Honduras

tom tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Mon Jul 20 08:57:58 EDT 2009

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009, Mike Harrison wrote:

> In spanish:
> http://www.abc.es/20090717/internacional-iberoamerica/decomisan-varios-ordenadores-resultados-200907171753.html
>
> Loose english translation:
>
> http://www.rantburg.com/poparticle.php?D=2009-07-18&ID=274578
>
> Not sure of the details. But the gist is: computers used in election
> tabulations look like they were preloaded with results. Hmm..
>

> As much as I like technology.. Especially Linux.
> There are times good old fashioned balloting and paper
> reporting of results up the chain sure work better.

I'm not sure I really disagree here, as it appears that paper appears to
work better for balloting, but I think that the emphasis is incorrect. At
this time, it seems that catching dishonesty in a paper regime is more
likely.

Nothing really wrong with the poor computers - just that paper has
advantages and may be the more appropriate technology because of it.

IMHO, YMMV, and so forth.